Thursday 13 September 2012

Crabs, Benji, Lime

Well this past few weeks has been one wild ride. School started full force; for both Kyle and I. I can now successfully say that I have completed my first week of my first year of teaching! What an experience it was! Of course I have been in a classroom before, and for 16 weeks I taught in someone else’s class, but there is nothing like having your classroom. Your very own classroom. Wow! Praise God for his many blessings.

My first week was full of students calling me “Mrs. Rodgers” (Still getting used to that one!) :), learning how to take control, and of course, a crab. Yes, a crab! And no, not that hermit crab you’re thinking of. I’m talking full on crab-that-just-came-out-of-the-ocean-that-has-claws-and-you-would-find-on-your-plate-at-Joe’s-Crab-Shack! Did I forget to mention that my student was so worried about his crab at snack break that he insisted he needed to feed it. Yes, it was quite an interesting week indeed!

For those of you know Kyle and I well, you know that we have a soft spot for dogs. And when I say soft spot I mean, cant-live-without-one-visit-the-pound-monthly-with-our-sister. Yeaaaa. :) So it won’t be a surprise to you when I announce….we got a dog!!! :) I think we officially made it about a week and a half before we broke down and just had to get one. He is one of the cutest small dogs I have ever seen. Literally. This is one of those proud Mom moments where I take the next paragraph to dote on how precious he is. :) We named him Benji, because he looks just like the dog from that movie. He is four years old and totally potty trained (PTL!). He LOVES walks! As soon as one of us reach for his leash he literally does a dance on his back two legs and gets so excited! I love it! He is a totally snuggle bug too. When Kyle and I are sitting on the couch he just has to jump up and snuggle in between us. We love him. :)


On an awesome note, we finally have internet at our apartment!!!! We have service from a company called Lime. Cayman is full of interesting names! :) In Kyle’s words, “It finally feels like our home.” Our home. I love the sound of that. :)

Prayer Requests:

Melissa: For homesickness…. :) For my relationship with my students. I am still trying to build rapport with them. They are still getting used to a new routine, and a new teacher, and I am still trying to get used to this whole I’m-the-teacher thing. Also, my students are required to memorize one bible verse a week. This is an area that I am weak in, so I have joined in on their challenge. :) This week’s verse: “For you are worthy our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created all things, and by your will they were created and have your being.” Revelation 4:11 (NIV) And yes, I just typed that from memory! I’m one day early on my challenge! :)

Kyle: School started this past week and I am still trying to back in the swing of things. It is such a blessing that we got internet this week! I have been going to a friend’s house to do my school work, so it’s definitely more convenient to have it at home! Also, for a job opportunity. I am pretty much looking into anything that is available, but of course would love to look into some kind of ministry ultimately.

Both: Our visas have still not been totally cleared. We have to jump through a lot of hoops, so just that we would have favor with the government, and get it cleared up as soon as possible.


Love and Hugs,
Mrs. Rodgers

No comments:

Post a Comment